- The Nevada Commission for the Preservation of Wild Horses will conduct their next meeting on November 26, 2007 an 12:00 pm (noon) at the Washoe County Commission Chambers, 1001 E. 9th, Reno, NV 89512. Copies of the Commission's agenda were cited as posted on their website, at http://www.wildhorse.nv.gov/ but as of today, no agenda is publically available.
The Commissions privately released agenda plans to address and may take action on the following items:
Issuing recommendations for the National policies and procedures of implementing gelding herds in lie of functional reproductive herds to the National Wild Horse and Burro Advisory Board.
- Discussing Litigation Options regarding the wild horse and burro program though no information was provided on what the Commission intends to begin litigation on.Requesting studies on fertility control treatments that now have been applied to a large percentage of the remaining wild populations.
- Reviewing BLM management of the Nellis wild horses located in the Nevada Wild Horse range with special emphasis on water management or the lack of it.
The results of the Commissions discussions and actions may have profound and far reaching effects into the National policies and future of the remaining wild horses and burros in America.
Involvement and attendance is highly recommended, especially in light of this agenda failing to be posted for public review, their intimate connections and support of the BLM and other government agencies, their profound influence on National WH&B strategies, and the weight given to the Commissions recommendations by key state and federal officials.
- Story on photographing "wild horse" races in Canada. http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/preview/story.html?id=b5412369-3be1-46df-baa9-694fca0f9d70
- Article about Hail Yeah, the mustang that won the Extreme Mustang Makeover competition last month. Highlights the "feral" horses rise to fame and how he has become a marketing tool for other feral horses. http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_D_hailyeah16.1ab9073.html
- Community discusses issues facing wild horse managment in Australia's National Parks. http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/11/15/2092229.htm