- Kaufman Zoning Horsemeat, Common Horse Sense and Animals-Angels have all provided a link to the newly released report, Deleting the Fiction: Abandoned Horses-Part II. There is also a link on American Herds Equine Protection section. Click on each organizational name to access the report. To all the people that worked diligently to verify the claims of abandoned horses now running amok, THANK YOU for setting the record straight on the spin and propaganda bought by the pro-horse slaughter industry.
- The Oregonian posted a story on 3/16 that has ominous sounds for the wild horse herds roaming Northwest Indian tribes reservations. Sounding very much like a cut-n-paste press release of anti-horse behaviors, one of the quotes includes, "They consume forage better used by elk, deer and bighorn sheep that tribal members hunt for food". I didn't know bighorn sheep were eaten by Indians, did you? Wonder what the wildlife/big game specialists who have poured hundreds of thousands of dollars in increasing big horn populations think of those trophy heads going only for dinner without the costly price to hunt them.... Click Here to learn more.
- "Katie" posts a very lengthy, informative and factual article titled, "Why the Organizations Opposing the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act are Wrong" - a paper by Duane L. Burright. Worth a read. Click Here to learn more.
- The News Virginian issues a standard type BLM press release of a wild horse and burro adoption seeking to place 70 animals at the Virginian Horse Center. However, a little added twist is thrown in this story as the article states "the range" can now only support 20,000", which happens to be about 7,500 less than the current National AML in all Western states. Sign of things to come? Click Here to learn more.
- Press Release: A new book titled, "Mines, Minerals and Mustangs" is expected to be released April 10, 2008 in which it is described as a "....beautiful book [that] honors the mustang and is a treat to the eye". Click Here to learn more.
- Dog Ear Diary does a quick overview of the book, "All The Wild Horses" by Dayton O. Hyde and hails the comparison of wild horses and their zebra cousins as well worth reading. Labeled a "beautiful book with absolutely stunning photography" 3/20/08. Click Here to learn more.
- In an opinion piece from Science Alert, a view of Australia through a scientists eye as they explore the implications of introduced species to Australia, report on the almost sure extinction of the Tasmanian Devil due to man's influence and hail the positive outcome of equine flu spreading to Australia's wild brumby population. Some things never change though as the author notes that "Australian society-as evinced by the action (or lack thereof) of its representative governments-is far more concerned about economic issues than environmental ones". Big news there, huh? Click Here to learn more.
- A story about the Wine of the Week christened "Wild Horse Pinot Noir" named so for the "dynamic spirit manifested in their constant exploration of wine grape varieties and wine making techniques". Click Here to learn more.
~~~~~WILD BURRO RESCUE UPDATE~~~~~
March 20, 2008
March 20, 2008
Posted by Preserve The Herds at 1:10 PM