- "Three-Hundred Wild Horses Spared from Canadian Slaughter Help Still Needed". The Native Times prints International Society for the Protection of Mustangs and Burros article written by Karen Sussman about the recent heroic efforts ISPMB has demonstrated as they saved 300 wild horses from slaughter. Click Here to learn more and help ISPMB in their ongoing efforts.
- Maryland reporter Denise Koch does a report on America's "dirty little secret", aka sending America's horses to Canada and Mexico to be slaughtered for human consumption by foreigners. Includes video, a link to a previous story and a poll on just where you stand on the subject of the horse meat industry. Click Here to learn more.
- American Horse Defense Funds blog, Hooflinks has posted a lot of great articles lately worth checking out. One is about what is going on in Asia to wild donkeys (WARNING! This is NOT pretty!), one is about how the beef recall is affecting horses, another about the economies impact to EVERYTHING, not just horses and there's even a report on how the anti-horse slaughter lobbying went in D.C. Check it out! Click Here to learn more.
- Tuesday's Horse, a blog for the International Fund 4 Horses, reports on the SPCA seizing 100 starving horses from a Canadian ranch in Alberta. Click Here to learn more.
- FORD Motor Company partnered with the Bureau of Land Management to create the Save the Mustangs fund. FORD reports it has raised $215k to help America's wild equines and is heavily involved in promoting the Extreme Mustang Makeovers. Click Here to learn more or donate to the Save the Mustang program.
- The Bureau of Land Managements monthly Internet Website Adoption kicked off yesterday with 70 wild horses and burros available. There are 12 days left. Click Here to view horses or learn more.
- Arizona Gold Prospectors Blog did a quick report on the issue of having to pay to drive OHV's on public lands and added a quick blurp about "It looks like there might be a run on the burro's again". American Herds is checking into just exactly what that means.... Click Here to read the article in full.
- Northern Nevada author of the Phantom Stallion children's series will lead a three-day creative writing workshop and is limited to 30 seats. Click Here to learn more.
- "Egyptian Tomb Holds First Known Domesticated Donkey" is the title and includes a photograph of the deceased donkeys that were volunteered to join their Pharaoh in the afterlife. Has a brief history of the ass evolution and some the controversies that surround it. Click Here to learn more.
- The Mustang Diaries blog has various stories posted about horses and their training. Published by Desperate Horsewife looking for support for her involvement in the Mustang Makeover, a June 2007 post caught my eye. Labeled "Stolen Horses", Michelle reported that her two horses, one a mustang named Christmas Fire, were delivered to a trainer (Paul Heape-is there anything to a name?) on May 5th, 2007 and neither horses or trainer were ever heard from again! Something to keep in mind when you deliver your horses to someone you may not know very well......Will follow up on this story to see what happened as Michelle reported that Christmas Fire was still titled to the BLM when she disappeared with the Heape. Click Here to read the article in full.
- Team Barbaro poses a fabulous question to the bold statement of Tracey Kessner issued in her letter titled, "The Horse Industry is in Peril". Click Here to read more.
- Dog Ear Diary does its own write up on the book, "Wild Horses I Have Known" by Hope Ryden. Click Here to read the review.
- An honest statement of "another shameless plug for my business" begins the tiny story titled, "Wild Horses Nuzzling" that states "several bans of feral horses have made their homes in the Badlands (North Dakota) since the 1800's." Wonder why they weren't protected by the 1971 Act? Click Here to view the "shameless plug" and the photo of the two wild horses nuzzling.
~~~~~WILD BURRO RESCUE UPDATE~~~~~
March 13, 2008
March 13, 2008
Posted by Preserve The Herds at 1:43 PM