- Participate in a limited time poll that wants to know if you are in favor of H.R. 503, To amend the Horse Protection Act to prohibit horses from being shipped to slaughter and S. 311, A bill to amend the Horse Protection Act to prohibit horses from being shipped to slaughter. Click provide links so you can be herd!
- Veternarians For Equine Welfare has issued a press release titled, VEW Releases White Paper on Horse Slaughter. The white paper was created to address misinformation being circulated by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVM) and other organizations opposing a potential ban on horse slaughter in the US and exportation of horses to slaughter. The VFW press release also has a link to the white paper titled, "Horse Slaughter - Its Ethical Impact and Subsequent Response of the Veterinary Profession." Click Here to view article and links.
- International Fund 4 Horses blog, Tuesdays Horse, grants this weeks "Horse Dung Award" to presidential candidate Mike Huckabee for admitting to both eating and enjoying horsemeat.Click Here to read the review.
- A story about "wild horses" in Ethiopia in danger of extinction. Totaling a mere 11 remaining, the article states that the Ethiopian wild horses are truly wild because they have never been domesticated and have roamed the Kundido Mountains for at least 200 years! These guys should talk to our "wildlife experts" who deny America's wild horse status even if they have been documented as "undomesticated" for 400 years! Click Here to read the complete story.
- Your Compassion is Suspect is the name of the article and the author tries to wake people up to the fact that their meat based diets are causing untold havoc on wildlife and the ecosystems. What is unusual is wild horses are included in the wildlife as well as the author providing a link to the story, Amerian Mustangs Killed To Make Room For Cattle Grazing. Click Here to view full article.
- A BLM Memo dated from 2003 roled in that details the priorities and organization of removing wild horses in Wyoming. Click Here to view Memo WY-2003-035.
- About 70 wild horses and burros will be available for adoption in Mobile, Alabama from January 18th through the 20th. Click Here to view full article.
- Award winning author Deanne Stillman has proudly announced the release of "Mustangs: The Saga of the Wild Horse in the American West" available for pre-order at Amazon and is due out in June 2008. Deanne has been compiling information, stories and facts to create this accounting of our wild horses for almost 10 years. We are all eagerly anticipating its arrival! Thank you Deanne!!!! You can place your order now at: http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0618454454/104-7106821-2507123?SubscriptionId=15VEWHERF6Q30X94NX82
- The Bureau of Land Management in Utah has bombarded the public with FIVE Draft Management Plans for establishing how public lands will be managed within the next 10-20 years. These plans will become the guiding foundation for HOW Utahs wild horse and burro herds will be administered and grant BLM the future authority of what they do to those herds. Land use plans are huge documents that require hours of study of BLMs proposals. Posting five of them all within the same few months is yet another effort by land managers to overwhelm the public and consequently, discourage public awareness, participation and involvement.
To access ALL currently proposed Draft Management Plans, go to: http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/prog/planning.1.htmlMoab Draft Management Plan - Public Comments - Closed
Vernal Draft Management Plan -Supplemental - Public Input Due by January 3, 2008 Public Comments Now Closedhttp://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/vernal/planning/rmp/draft_rmp_eis/draft_rmp_eis.html
Kanab Draft Management Plan - Public Input Due by January 10, 2008No Wild Horse or Burros HMAs are in this planning area.http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/kanab/planning/draft_rmp_eis.html
Richfield Draft Management Plan - Public Input Due by January 23, 2008 http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/richfield/planning/rmp/draft_rmp_eis.html
Monticello Draft Management Plan - Public Input Due by February 8, 2008 http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/monticello/planning/draft_rmp_eis.html